The filming and editing of our preliminary task was extremely basic and was put together in just under an hour at the start of our media course. We used an iPhone to video and edit the footage with a basic editing app. Altogether it lacked any direction and failed to even show a good use of match-on-action or the 180 degree rule. Not only were we determined for our opening sequence to be a step up from the narrative of the preliminary task but also we wanted to show how we could use a wide range of equipment and technologies to achieve a much more appealing piece.
The first real step up was the planning and research into our opening sequence. It required a lot more thinking and dedication than the five minute talk we had prior to filming the preliminary task. However for answering this question we must look at the more technical side of things. for our first filming day we used an actual video camera as we wanted to be able to have a tripod for the talking scenes to make it stable and more professional looking.The camera was more complex than the iPhone used for the preliminary task and required us figuring out how to pause, stop and start. Whilst this sounds particularly easy most of our footage was our feet in between shots, second time round filming however we had mastered the camera. For the complexity of the camera in our hands I believe this was a step up from the ‘one-click’ iPhone we used to film our preliminary task. As mentioned above, we used a camera predominantly for the tripod as we could set up stable, effective shots. With our preliminary task we could not use a tripod with the iPhone and had to use tables to ensure it was not overly shaky. This limited our range of shots extremely as they were just a fixed height and were not available 360 degrees around the character.
For the whole of our opening sequence we had to fake/create a night time which our viewers could still see all the action, whereas in the preliminary we filmed in daylight and left it that way. Filming at night or in dark conditions required a great deal of planning about lighting and post production. I will talk more about the post production later on. One our first film day we created a false sense of night by covering windows and not filming towards them, this worked well on the day however when reviewing footage it was dark and grainy. Therefore upon our second filming day we filmed at actual night but used car headlight to illuminate our characters. We did this as we now were aware that we could darken film a lot easier than lighten it in post production. Our preliminary task required no consideration of light in particular due to the shortness (lack of continuity needed) and the daylight it was set in.
We advanced most in our post production from preliminary task to opening sequence. Post production of the preliminary task was simple cuts and done with a free of charge iPhone app, it took around 10 minutes, where as the post production of our opening sequence was done using Final Cut Pro, involved editing of speech, sound, music, lighting, colour, putting together, titles and much more which took over 3 weeks. The two post productions are hardly comparable and it is clear how we advanced. For example in our preliminary task we did not have to edit sound as there was no changing of scenes and no background sound was added, where as within our opening sequence there was a huge amount of adjusting sound levels, reconfiguring the clearest speech with the clearest picture, background sound including muffled music added and even sound bites of doors closing.
Our opening sequence shows good continuity due to the narrative and the stability of characters and the sequence flows. However within the preliminary task since it was so short and lacked any kind of valuable audience content (i.e characterisation) that it was hard to show continuity as it was set within half a minute. We also used a much greater range of shots within our opening sequence, such as low angle, medium and wide shots, whereas our preliminary task was almost all wide shots.
(All GIFS show the preliminary task stills first and then our opening sequence stills)